Monday 14 August 2017

All Aboard the Broommobile!

 As of 11:00am this morning on August 14th 2017, I'm officially no longer a learner driver.

That's right, I PASSED! First time and everything!

I got two minors - the first was when I was doing my left-reverse bay park. The car park we were in was tiny and with only 10 spaces, so as I was reversing I thought there was no need to worry about the two cars behind us, but my examiner said that I should have considered checking that nobody had returned to their car and attempted to pull out behind me.

The second fault happened at an awkward junction in Beeston. Instead of a standard crossroads, there is a junction where you need to take a sharp right followed by an immediate left in order to continue your path straight ahead. I took the turns in second gear and wasn't particularly worried about the turns, but my examiner said I could have taken them in first and alowed right down to give myself a bit more time to negotiate the bends.

Both very valid faults and not what I was worrying about fluffing anyway so that's more than fair.

I'm going to take a bit of time to get used to my own car. I've been learning in a Mini and it's so responsive and heavy-set, whereas my little Peugeot has a tricky biting point and zips around like a go-kart so I'm a completely different driver depending on which car I'm in.

I'm hoping that once I've driven myself to and from work a few times, I'll really be able to nail my clutch control in my car, and then nothing can hold me back!